[200q20v] fuel smell

Peter Schulz peschulz at cisco.com
Thu Dec 6 09:00:13 EST 2001

At 11:22 PM 12/5/2001 -0500, Donna or Chris Locke wrote:
>Hi all.  '91 200 20vtq, my wife's car.  I get a very strong gasoline
>smell at times.  It doesn't seem to matter whether the fuel tank is
>empty, half, or full, regardless of how the car was driven prior to
>smelling the odor, this smell of gas pops up.  Outside the car,
>passenger side, right near the rear door (of course, right where all the
>fuel stuff is located!!) and on occasion, you can smell it inside.  I
>looked all over for drips, none to be found, some rust here and there on
>the seam of the fuel tank, but the seams look dry.  Took it for a ride
>tonight, really drove it, hard cornering, hard braking, hard
>accelerating (my kind of driving anyway!!) and got home with no smell.
>NOW, about 5 minutes after I shut off the engine, I got one quick whiff
>outside the car, by the rear passenger door.  No smell in the trunk,
>very very faint where the rear seat used to be, nothing up by the
>headrest or seatbelt area.  I'm really lost on this one.  Anybody else
>come across this one?
>Thanks for the help..
>Chris Locke
>'91 2C20VTQ
>'86 4KCSTQ
>200q20v mailing list
>200q20v at audifans.com

Same problem with my avant- additionally, the car is hard to start in warm
weather, but starts easy in colder weather.

I also noticed that there is no pressure release when I open the gas cap-

I've replaced the FPR,  had the injectors balanced and blueprinted ( they
were in rough shape) and replaced the injector seals, fuel pump and valve.

I pretty sure that I have a venting problem in the area of the tank, which
is affecting residual fuel pressure and therefore warm weather starting...

I have unfortunately no really had the time to drop the tank to check
everything out.  Dropping the tank means dropping the rear driveshafts and
diff, btw.

Peter Schulz
1990 CQ
1991 200 20v TQW indigo mica