[200q20v] Antifreeze smell-Heater Core?

digital leopard digitaleopard at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 5 16:33:23 EST 2001

Hello all, got a question.  Last week, thought I was smelling a slight odor
once car has warmed up (not sure-I've had a cold).  Last night, drove home
under (cough) higher than normal boost, and the smell was overpowering.  I
ended up with a serious headache from the fumes, and when I got home, the
car had a drip about a foot in from the middle of the passenger-side tire
(seemingly inside the firewall).  I'm assuming from the location and the
smell that this is the heater core going bad.  So, question:  The bentley
makes this repair seem straightforward.  Is it?  I want to be able to work
on the car myself, but don't have much time with the new job.  If I do this,
how much time/effort/tools are involved, and what else should I repair while
I'm at it?  (Hoses, etc.)  Bottom line-should I try this (I can devote a
weekend, but will really need car after that...) or have a local shop do the
work?  Also, it looks like the dash has to come off for this fix-does anyone
on the list know where I can get the board soldering done on the warning
indicator (after all, if the dash has to come off ANYWAY...)  Thanks.

Ron Merrell.