[200q20v] Transmission failure update ..

Arun Rao rao at pixar.com
Thu May 24 11:47:11 EDT 2001

Some of you will remember that my transmission failed suddenly at 137K a
few weeks ago. Car was still driveable, and ran fine but for this noise.

I had the transmission pulled and sent to a local transmission shop.  As
one of my friends surmised, the output bearing race had broken --
apparently it just fell out when the mechanic opened the transmission.

He didn't see a need to do a full rebuild because there was nothing else
broken or worn inside.  Got the car back a couple of days ago with the
repaired transmission, new clutch and bearing.  Seems fine, clutch
effort is a lot lower, shifter feels different ("softer" is how I'd put
it). Total damages: $1,500. Not cheap, but not as bad as it might have

Good to have the car back, esp. now that it has company in the garage

'91 200Q (137K)
'00 S4 (26K)

Arun Rao
Pixar Animation Studios