[200q20v] Glued distributor rotor?

Kneale Brownson knotnook at traverse.com
Wed Nov 7 09:07:48 EST 2001

The cars came from the factory with the rotor glued onto the distributor
shaft.  Originally, the rotor was not a replacement part.  You had to
exchange the entire distributor.  The original distributors also had a
plastic gear.   A Google search of audifans.com regarding the 200q20v
distributor rotor will turn up a number of postings regarding replacement
approaches used successfully, including installing new rotors of the OEM
design without applying glue.  The process of breaking off the glued-on
rotors inspired experimenting with leaving out the glue.  I don't remember
anyone reporting having problems with an unglued rotor.