[200q20v] Engine cuts out?

Brett Dikeman brett at cloud9.net
Thu Oct 4 14:33:02 EDT 2001

At 12:58 PM -0400 10/4/01, ELLIEOLSEN at aol.com wrote:
>Hi list,
>My wagon is cutting out under accelleration. I get power back when I
>lift my foot of the gas, but if I try to accellerate too fast it
>cuts out again.
>What do you think it could be? Injectors, O2 sensor, TBV , bad fuel.

Any of the above you listed would probably not cause a cut out.

Is it complete, ie, there's suddenly NO engine output?  That's
sometimes a fuel pump cutoff because of overboost.

If it's more of a violent shuddering, that's sometimes a big vacuum
leak or other similar problem affecting mixture; under boost, a hose
with a crack suddenly opens up and leaks a lot of air, boost pressure
drops, the leak closes, boost builds, etc.  I would pull the codes
from the ECU and look for a big vacuum leak...check all the clamps on
the intake system, they should be very tight.  Remove the
intercooler->intake pipe hose, clean it up, inc on the outside, and
bend/pull it every which way to look for leaks.  Usually the most
common leak location is on the bottom side of the hose, where oil
pools in the folds.

Brett Dikeman
brett at cloud9.[nospam]net