steer clear of Foreign Autopart rebuilds

Brett Dikeman brett at
Tue Apr 2 01:50:52 EST 2002

At 8:08 PM -0800 4/1/02, Bernie Benz wrote:

>Rather, of importance is the chrome plated piston surface which must move
>relative to the seal.

Exactly.  I never said anything about the cylinder walls...

>T'ain't broke, just needing a little TLC!

If you see my followup post, you can see clearly that the chrome
finish has been destroyed near the top...and that there are a ton of
surface defects, scratches, and spots where the surface has been worn
severely(at the -base- of the piston, even!)

I seriously doubt the caliper will form anything even remotely
resembling a seal when I put new rotors+pads on and the most severely
damaged area shifts back to the seal area...right now, the way it
was, it was mostly smooth, undamaged metal mating with the seal.