pressure regulator valve

Brett Dikeman brett at
Mon Apr 15 23:17:12 EDT 2002

At 6:21 PM -0400 4/15/02, Vincenzo Basile wrote:
>I recently broke my pressure regulator valve(it goes between the
>crank case ventilation hose and the crank ventilation tube) in its
>place i put a bypass valve.Does anybody know if this will do
>anything bad to the car or do i need to replace that pressure
>regulator valve ,tried finding one but looks like dealer item
>only.thanks in  advance for any info.

Dealer only item doesn't mean it will cost $$$.  Try Clair Parts
Express or Carlsen Audi, both listed in the parts supplier page on
the main site.

Putting a bypass valve in there is a very bad idea; you've basically
just sealed the crankcase.

Drive the car as gently/little as possible(no heavy boost) and after
the new valve is in place, check/clean the distributor cap+rotor;
chances are there will be oil inside.

You can replace it with a 90 degree fitting, but ONLY temporarily;
the valve is there to prevent air from going -into- the crankcase.

Also, make sure you have the flame arrestor in place; should be a
really funny looking coil of copper wire.  Normally, it is in the
tube on the crankcase side of the 90 degree valve.