tire wear speculations

Phil Rose pjrose at frontiernet.net
Wed Apr 24 17:51:09 EDT 2002

The other day while installing my summer tires/wheels, I checked the
depth of remaining tread. I made several depth measurements and
estimate that I've got no more than 30-40% of the original tread
depth remaining (above the wear-bumps). The wear pattern is pretty
uniform, although the tires have seen only a mere 15k miles of use in
street/highway driving. But they have also been used at *three* 2-day
track events (all mid-summer at Watkins Glen). If I continue to used
them just for street driving, I'd expect there'd be at least 8-10k
more miles remaining, giving about 25K miles (in addition to those 6
track days.)

So I've been wondering: just what "highway-equivalent" mileage might
be attributed to that track use? I realize that there are an enormous
number of variables (the track itself, experience level, temperature,
inflation pressure,....). But do you track-savvy folks use some
ballpark factor to estimate of the extra tirewear (per mile) from
track use, compared to normal driving? 5X? 10X? 20X?

I suspect my question is similar to asking: "How long is a piece of
string?" The tires btw are 225x60-15 Firestone Firehawk SZ-50es,
which is a Z-rated tire with excellent dry and wet grip (and super
quiet, too). It carries a very high rating for wear, although no one
seems to put much stock in such numbers.

(hoping for just one more track event on these tires)

Phil Rose				Rochester, NY USA
'91 200q	(130 Kmiles, Lago blue)
'91 200q   (57 Kmiles, Tornado red)
	mailto:pjrose at frontiernet.net