tire wear speculations (2)

maximum at weetamoo.com maximum at weetamoo.com
Wed Apr 24 21:57:09 EDT 2002

Phil wrote:

>>It carries a very high rating for wear, although no one
>>seems to put much stock in such numbers

With lots of good reasons indeed, my good man Phil.

UTQG wear ratings are still done by the manufacturers even though:

"The treadwear grade is a comparative rating based on the wear rate
 of the tire when tested under controlled conditions on a specified
 government test course."

 It is my belief that "wear" ratings specifically only carry weight within
the brand.  IE: A Fireyear with a rating of 300 indexed at 100 will
last 3 times as long as a Fireyear with a rating of 100 but maybe only
twice as long as a Goodstone with a 100 rating.... but a Goodstone 300
should last 3 times as long as a Goodstone with a 100...huh? Let's face
it too... if you're sporting 300HP at the rear wheels you're just not
gonna get the wear you will if you're pumping out a mere 150HP.  Again,
you know your mileage may vary.  I also believe that history and current
technology is a factor.  Tires have come so far in the past decade that
a tire graded ten years ago at may not yield what you expect when compared
to a similarly graded tire that came out of a fresh mold last year.

 Lots of people recognize that I frequently don't know what the hell I'm
talking about.  These people are probably no better...anyone remember
Joan "the bigger the explosive at the airbag the better" Claybrooke?

Make of that what you will.  I'm going to go drink some single malt now.

Royal aka 20RoT