Crankcase Breather Hose

Brett Dikeman brett at
Mon Dec 23 13:36:05 EST 2002

At 10:38 AM -0700 12/23/02, Peter Sebestyen wrote:
>I noticed a hose down low on the drivers side that has some serious
>bloating.  It wraps around the back of the engine, has a T in it and then
>connects on at the top of the engine, towards the back on the passenger
>side.  I believe this is a crankcase breather hose.

Yes, and it should be larger in diameter near the block.  However,
the large lower part should not have collapsed on itself, and the
hose material should not be squishy.   Failed ones have collapsed and
are usually feel like very soft rubber(it's a reasonably hard rubber

After changing, check the distributor for oil.  Depending upon your
definition of "seal" there either isn't one up there, or its very
weak, but oil vapor tends to get blown into the distributor when the
crankcase vent is blocked.

Also- there is a copper flame arrestor coil right before the 90
degree valve, passenger side, at the top of the engine.  Transplant
it to the new hose.

I recommend cleaning all valves with extended soaking in a a
reasonably gentle degreaser such as simple green.

"They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

More information about the 200q20v mailing list