Car refuses to start ...

Phil Rose pjrose at
Fri Dec 27 11:47:38 EST 2002

At 7:56 PM -0800 12/26/02, Arun Rao wrote:

>For the first time in years, we have enough guests that we actually
>*need* all three cars, so I decided I was going to fix the headlamps.
>Simple enough (turned out to be a bad ground), and I pulled the car
>into the garage to do the work.  Also did the flap motor contact
>cleaning thing. Tried to start the car to try out the climate control:
>motor cranks but doesn't start (after the fourth crank I know
>something's wrong because it has *never* taken more than two).  A few
>more cranks later, the battery's dead.

I assumed you tried starting with a booster or did some recharging?
Batteries do poop out rather abruptly after periods of disuse if
they've been in marginal condition up 'till then.

>I'm guessing fuel pump's toast.  Any other ideas?  What's the simplest
>way of finding out if the fuel pump is indeed dead?  The fuse is good,
>but I can't hear anything with the ignition on.  I've done this on my
>5KT once before

Before I replaced the fuel pump in ol' Lago, it was _very_ loud,
however you could not hear it at all until the engine was running
(i.e., pump did _not_ run with the ignition turned on without engine
running/cranking.) I recall being told that fuel pump operation in
the 200 differs from the 5KT in that respect.

Phil Rose				Rochester, NY USA
'91 200q	(135 Kmiles, Lago blue)
'91 200q   (58 Kmiles, Tornado red)
	mailto:pjrose at