[200q20v] Re: [V8] V8 and 200q20v difference

Phil Rose pjrose at frontiernet.net
Wed Feb 6 10:45:55 EST 2002

At 9:08 AM -0500 2/6/02, Michael L. Riebs wrote:
>  > Actually, my intent in asking whether tires would have something to do
>>  mpg results was more in consideration of tire compounding/construction
>>  in SIZE.
>Well, then my guess would be that the harder the tire, the better fuel
>economy, and a softer tire would be less economical. However, with the
>compounds we have available commercially, I doubt if there is a several mpg
>noticeable difference. Probably a little though!
>Michael Riebs
>Grand Rapids, MI
>'90 V8Q
>'98 A6QA

The biggest tire "construction" change in memory (mine, at least) was
the switch from bias ply to radial ply about 30 yrs ago. That
produced a quite considerable reduction in rolling resistance, which
(as I dimly recall) could allow a few mpg improvement. Nowadays, the
biggest tire-related variable for fuel economy is certainly inflation
pressure . This affects both the radius *and* rolling resistance,
which IMO might account for a several mpg effect. However drivers
often don't appreciate the mpg effect(s) of tire pressure since--as
already mentioned--any (+/-) radius change will produce an offsetting
odometer error, which obscures some of the actual change.

Phil Rose				Rochester, NY
'91 200q	(130 Kmiles, Lago blue)
'91 200q   (57 Kmiles, Tornado red)
	mailto:pjrose at frontiernet.net