[200q20v] Re: Audi 20V post -- re: starter connection

Peter Schulz peschulz at cisco.com
Wed Jan 9 09:48:09 EST 2002

At 11:54 PM 1/8/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi Peter,
>Just reading your post re: -- starter copper strap.
>Check the braided copper field winding lead on the starter - it should go
> > from the solenoid to the starter body - it may have corroded and is not
> > connected.
> >
> > Just had the same occur on 200 wagon #2.
> >
>The same thing happened on my coupe.  Galvanic corrosion at terminal
>connector.  Total separation.  No start.  Hole in the stomach feeling.
>I was able to install a shunt using a clamp type connector to attach a
>short length of #10 wire, then a crimp-on terminal for connection to
>solenoid stud.
>It is only a temporary fix.  I need a better fix long term.  I hate the
>thought of a new starter, just because that terminal has corroded off.
>How did you repair yours ?
>Any idea on cost of new starter ?
>Thanks for any tip or advice.
>Gerry -- 90 cq .. Red.

Since the entire starter looked worse for wear and at (168kmiles on salty
New England Roads) and  I did not want to get stranded with two young boys
under 3 years age
-fat wallet syndrome or not, I elected to have it rebuilt locally.

Instead they gave me one they had already rebuilt and on the shelf for $129
...Chris Miller posted on his 200q20v website about lifetime warranty
starters for $119 from Pep Boys.

Not knowing whether Pep Boys starter was a Bosch rebuild or a Chinese
knockoff  (lifetime warranty won't do you any good if it fails in east buck
toosh ;^), I decided to support the local economy, and pay the extra $10 a
got a 1 year warranty (I was told that if it failed after two years or
more, and I had the receipt, there really wouldn't be an issue)

Place I went was Chelmsford Auto Electric 141 Middlesex Rd (RT3A)
Tyngsboro, MA 01879 (978 649 4448)
Brian Sheets was most helpful.

ps>  They also rebuild 120 Amp Bosch Alternators for $75, depending on
parts required - Same day service on rebuilds if you ask.  About $150 if
you want the case redone and the stator and windings recoated...which the
Bosch's typically don't need.

Peter Schulz
1990 CQ
1991 200 20v TQW indigo mica