this car sucks(vacuum line, group purchase?)

Phil Rose pjrose at
Sun Jul 7 12:16:26 EDT 2002

At 12:29 AM -0400 7/7/02, Brett Dikeman wrote:
>I've got a bunch of vacuum leaks...among them, the ECU moisture trap.
>Nosing around with a poor-man's stethoscope, not only does the trap
>leak(I haven't figured out how on earth the trap is leaking, but it
>is), but so does the hose between the trap and hard plastic line
>hose.  It is very amusing; turn the car off, and with the kickpanel
>removed, you can actually hear the vacuum release through that
>section of line.

Have you confirmed--by a test of static pressure--that there is
significant leakage? I think it's possible that a rush of air
through small _internal_ passages could account for some
noise--perhaps even noises created at quite some distance from your
"stethoscope". So...can you be sure that what you are hearing is
caused by localized, external leaks?

Phil Rose
Rochester, NY
mailto:pjrose at