steering vibration

Kneale Brownson knotnook at
Wed Jul 10 21:01:13 EDT 2002

At 05:35 PM 07/10/2002 -0400, RGuzz wrote:

>Looks like time to check myself. Steering vibration continues, my Bosch
>place again tells me there is nothing wrong and that there is no
>steering dampener in this car and perhaps the vibration is in the
>steering box someplace. I know it isn't wheel related. Right under your
>hands while interstate driving. Airbag has been tightened and presumably
>has no play accounting for this. The possibilities are essentially
>endless, I guess. Any suggestions to narrow the field? Do I need to
>locate the steering dampener myself? The car is perfect otherwise,
>making this a real annoyance.

There IS a steering damper on the 200q20v.  Bentley describes its
replacement without disturbing the other steering components on Pg.
48.8a.  Pre-replacement testing involves removing the outer anchoring bolt
and cycling the damper's rod through its full stroke.  "The rod must move
evenly without jerking."