Shock Height with a spring change?

Audi Sport themercedesbenz at
Thu Jul 25 16:04:23 EDT 2002

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

I used to have Bilstein Sports (is that what the HD's are?)on one of my
previous 20V turbos and the ride height was not higher than it should be. I
had H&R springs and the wheels in the back were almost tucking under the
fenders. I don't understand this whole thing about how a shock can raise the
height of a car since the spring is what actually supports the weight.

Dan B.
----Original Message Follows----
From: Henry A Harper III
To: 200q20v <200q20v at>
Subject: RE: Shock Height with a spring change?
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 12:47:02 -0600
Sender: 200q20v-admin at
I noticed very little change in static ride height when replacing my OEM
w/"HD"s. See
Chewy, if the car's butt is up in the air, take it back and tell them to
install the shocks properly this time. :)
Henry Harper hah at
1991 200 quattro, 118k
1988 GTI 16v, 229k
On Thursday, July 25, 2002 10:59 AM, Jack Walker
[SMTP:jwalker at] wrote:
> So if there is an increase in static ride height with the Bilstein HD
shocks, how about the sport shocks, how much is it? How about either with
the change to either the HR or the Eibach springs. To further compicate
things, on an Avant? I've seen mention of spring pads? or perches? What are
these exactly rubber pads to go between the springs and???
> I am in snow a lot in the winter and would love to replace springs and
shocks but really don't want to go lower than 1" than where we are with a
car that's "normal height"