I got two questions...

Eric_R_Kissell at email.whirlpool.com Eric_R_Kissell at email.whirlpool.com
Thu Jun 27 10:41:06 EDT 2002

I eliminated the plastic cruise control bushing. I bought some of the strap
that plumbers use for hanging pipe. This is the stuff that is about 0.5"
wide and has a bunch of holes along its length. I cut a piece the right
length so that I could wrap the ends around and crimp it onto the place
where the plastic part used to go with one hole centered for the cruise
control rod to fit into. Then I unthreaded the cruise rod and put it
through the hole in the strap. The only tool I used for this repair was a
big set of Vice Grip pliers, which were used to cut the strap, bend the
ends around, and crimp them down tight over the appropriate spot.

This repair has worked on two Type 44's for five years.

I did not simply wake up and decide to make this modification one day. I was
driving through West Virginia, near Morgantown IIRC, and the cruise control quit
working like others had described on the list. A look under the hood confirmed
that the plastic part connecting to the cruise control rod had failed. This was
eight hours driving time or so from home, so I really wanted my cruise control
fixed for the remainder of the trip. There was not an open dealer nearby but
there was a Lowes, so I invented the fix in the parking lot. When the other car
needed the same fix 6 months later I still had the left over plumbers strap, so
that car got the same treatment.

Eric Kissell
______________________________ Reply Separator _________________________________
Subject: Re: I got two questions...
Author:  David Head <v8q at bellsouth.net> at INTERNET
Date:    6/27/2002 7:10 AM
Here's a 2 year old post...
Subject: Re: Cruise Control linkage trouble
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 19:19:58 -0700
From: "frank j. bauer" <frankbauer at thevine.net>
To:River6822 at aol.com, quattro at audifans.com
At 09:41 PM 7/1/99 EDT, River6822 at aol.com wrote:
>I have an 88 80q. The plastic grommet / keeper that holds the cruise control
>linkage to the cruise control servo has broken and disappeared.
>Does anyone know if I can get this part separately? What is is called ? Does
>it have a part number ? Does anyone have one off of a parts car that they
>would be willing to part with ? Or could some one give me the extact
>measurements so that I could replace it with a rubber grommet.

811 907 423
"bush for connecting rod"
about $2


rguzz at mindspring.com wrote:
> david,
> do you have the part number? i believe this part is nla but it sounds like you
> know...easy enough to find out, i guess.
> rg
> On Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:23:57 -0400 David Head <v8q at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Although it is not available for type 44 cars, the same plastic grommet is >
used on
> Audi 90s and is readily available as a spare part from the dealer...

More information about the 200q20v mailing list