A/C-Heater blower motor fix

Peter Schulz peschulz at cisco.com
Sun Jun 23 15:49:31 EDT 2002

Steve is referring to the "steak knife method" employed by 5k owners...

pjrose at frontiernet.net writes:

> So, what trick(s) am I missing (never mind steak knives)?  What's the best
>  tool/way to pry up on the blower box. Using a Wonder Bar was suggested by a
>  friend, (but mine's gone missing). Is my problem the fact that the interior
>  duct connections must be pulled free _before_ the blower box is able to
>  loosen at all?
>  Phil

"Blower Motor Replacement: Quick and Dirty method
     One quick method used to replace the blower motor involves cutting out
the short piece of duct work between the A/C evaporator housing and the
     housing. There are three screws that hold the blower inlet cover on, one
is underneath below and out of sight. Then the strap holding the
heater/blower housing is
     loosened, the E clip on the end of the blower motor housing is removed
as well as the blower electrical connector. A large pry bar is used
(carefully) to raise up
     the heater/blower housing enough to allow the blower motor/fan to be
pulled (yanked?) out and replaced. This is kind of a brute force method but
it does work.

At 11:32 AM 8/23/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Steve, I believe that yours is wrong advice, having done two.  The blower
>can not be removed without first removing the heater air box from the car.
>> From: Steven Hauptmann <hauptmanns at MAIL.LLR.STATE.SC.US>
>> Chuck,
>> Congratulations on your acquisition of a wonderful car.
>> I replaced my blower motor when I did the heater core, so my box was already
>> out. This is the way Bentley says it must be done, however...
>> I seem to remember posts where the blower can be changed WITHOUT removing
>> the housing, so check the archives. I've heard it's tricky (a friend w/ a
>> 5ktq did it), and may require some force to get it out...but I know it can
>> been done.
>> Good luck,
>> Steve Hauptmann
>> South Carolina, USA