When should Fresh-Air/Recirculation Flap open?

Kneale Brownson knotnook at traverse.com
Tue Mar 12 06:55:24 EST 2002

As I understand its use, the recirculation door should open when the A/C
has cooled the cabin sufficiently that it becomes more efficient for
further cooling for the A/C system to be getting its air more from the
already cooled interior than from outside.  Most A/C systems (even in a
building) can only lower whatever air they're treating by a small amount,
so to get really cold air, most need to start with almost-cold air, and the
only way to do that when atmospheric conditions are less than almost-cold
is to recirculate the air you've been cooling already.  So, I would guess
that the A/C controller relies partially on the cabin air sensors to tell
it when it's appropriate to open the flap.