My rear brakes won't stop squeeling!!!

Phil Rose pjrose at
Thu May 2 01:07:50 EDT 2002

>My back brakes seem to drag all the time. I don't
>think It's the e-brake, because the squeel goes away
>when I apply the brakes lightly. What should I check
>to solve my problem. It's seems like the pads are
>returning all the way into the caliper.

Have you jacked up the rear wheel(s) and verified that there is
actually some significant "dragging"? The e-brake is commonly the
cause of rear brake dragging, and it's easy to tell if they're not
being fully disengaged. Check for this by inspecting the e-brake
actuating lever located at the rear of each caliper assembly. There
is a coil spring that should cause the lever to return tightly
against a "stop" when the e-brake handle is fully released. If cables
are binding  or caliper innards are gunked-up, this will restrain the
levers from returning to the released position. Even as little as
1/8" away from the stop is enough to drag the brakes. They can be
released (temporarily) by prying with a large screwdriver or tapping
with a small hammer to force the lever(s) to rotate fully against the

Also, If the rubber boots over the caliper guide-pins are torn or
missing, the guide pins may be dirty/corroded and interfere with
caliper movement, causing the pads to remain in contact.

Phil Rose				Rochester, NY USA
'91 200q	(130 Kmiles, Lago blue)
'91 200q   (57 Kmiles, Tornado red)
	mailto:pjrose at