Interesting Observation Re: Steering

Martin, Gary G MartinGG at
Mon May 13 20:28:15 EDT 2002

When I did a fluid change on my S4, I found out that the hydraulic system
really pumps a LOT of fluid quickly through that reservoir. I assume the 200
is the same. So, maybe the low fluid level allows some air to get into the
system? Just a guess...

Gary Martin
91 200 TQA
94 UrS4

-----Original Message-----
From: Neil Vonhof [mailto:nhvonhof at]
Sent: Monday, May 13, 2002 5:55 PM
To: 200q20v at
Subject: Interesting Observation Re: Steering

the symptoms described above are gone. Totally smooth steering, no
groaning/moaning sounds (from the car guys, from the car) and no more hard
steering. I am surprised because I would assume that the system should
normally at any fluid level between min & max. It's surprising that 2 to 3
of fluid in the reservoir would make such a profound difference in
I guess the message here is to keep that reservoir filled to the Max. line
best performance.
The one question this brings up:  is this whole thing an indicator of
serious failure in the near future? Any BTDT on this?
Neil Vonhof
'91 200q20v Sedan, 140,000 miles

200q20v mailing list
200q20v at

This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the exclusive use of the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential or
privileged information.  If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended
recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited.  If
you think that you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the
sender by reply e-mail of the error and then delete this e-mail immediately.
Thank you.  Aetna Inc.
[ Content of type application/ms-tnef deleted ]