Oily Plugs (was ETKA)

Phil Rose pjrose at frontiernet.net
Thu May 16 22:35:00 EDT 2002

At 7:54 PM -0400 5/16/02, Kneale Brownson wrote:
>At 05:11 PM 05/16/2002 -0400, Brett Dikeman wrote:
>>Mandatory 200q20v content...just got finished pulling all the spark plugs,
>>cleaning the oil off the tops/threads of the plugs(grr), cleaning out the
>>spark plug boots of oil(grr), applying contact cleaner to contacts, tuneup
>>grease to the sides of the plugs so they don't stick like they always do
>>to boots, and applying anti-seize.
>>The car will of course undo all this quite rapidly(including loosening the
>>plugs to the point where the wire boots vibrate, and blowing all the
>>anti-seize to kingdom come.)
>Is this a result of your boost modifications?  I've never seen this in my
>"stock" 200q20v.

The 3B engine is fairly "notorious" for having the sparkplugs loosen
up--spontaneously, so to speak. I've  torqued the plugs to spec, and
then later have found they'd become finger-loose"  (oh, probably
within 10K). And both of my cars arrived from PO with most of their
plugs loose.

Phil Rose				Rochester, NY USA
'91 200q	(130 Kmiles, Lago blue)
'91 200q   (57 Kmiles, Tornado red)