Oily Plugs (was ETKA)

Martin, Gary G MartinGG at aetna.com
Thu May 16 23:06:31 EDT 2002

From: Phil Rose [mailto:pjrose at frontiernet.net]
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 9:35 PM
To: Kneale Brownson
Cc: Brett Dikeman; mike s.; 200q20v at audifans.com
Subject: Re:Oily Plugs (was ETKA)

At 7:54 PM -0400 5/16/02, Kneale Brownson wrote:
>At 05:11 PM 05/16/2002 -0400, Brett Dikeman wrote:
Can thread locker (Locktite) be used? I've also found loose plugs on my 200
and S4. #1 plug on the S4 was always loosening up, then the last time I
checked it, the threads stripped out of the head. Yikes!!  Local shop fixed
it up with a heli-coil. Not that big of a deal I guess.

94 UrS4
91 200 TQA

>>Mandatory 200q20v content...just got finished pulling all the spark plugs,
>>cleaning the oil off the tops/threads of the plugs(grr), cleaning out the
>>spark plug boots of oil(grr), applying contact cleaner to contacts, tuneup
>>grease to the sides of the plugs so they don't stick like they always do
>>to boots, and applying anti-seize.
>>The car will of course undo all this quite rapidly(including loosening the
>>plugs to the point where the wire boots vibrate, and blowing all the
>>anti-seize to kingdom come.)
>Is this a result of your boost modifications?  I've never seen this in my
>"stock" 200q20v.

The 3B engine is fairly "notorious" for having the sparkplugs loosen
up--spontaneously, so to speak. I've  torqued the plugs to spec, and
then later have found they'd become finger-loose"  (oh, probably
within 10K). And both of my cars arrived from PO with most of their
plugs loose.

Phil Rose				Rochester, NY USA
'91 200q	(130 Kmiles, Lago blue)
'91 200q   (57 Kmiles, Tornado red)
	mailto:pjrose at frontiernet.net

200q20v mailing list
200q20v at audifans.com

This e-mail, including attachments, is intended for the exclusive use of the
person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential or
privileged information.  If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended
recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified that
any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited.  If
you think that you have received this e-mail in error, please advise the
sender by reply e-mail of the error and then delete this e-mail immediately.
Thank you.  Aetna Inc.
[ Content of type application/ms-tnef deleted ]