Hose ID

Phil Rose pjrose at frontiernet.net
Tue May 28 22:57:09 EDT 2002

At 7:53 PM -0500 5/28/02, Steve Crosbie wrote:
>     My '91 200 does not have the breather hose like on my 5k's or on
>Scott Mockry's web site.  There is the very short hose connecting the
>pipe coming out of the block to a metal pipe (about 1" outer diameter)
>that takes a 45 degree bend toward the block (toward passengers side)
>and then a 45 degree bend to the back of the engine where it flares down
>to a smaller diameter  that bends back towards the passengers side
>again.  It ends width rubber again in the middle of the back of the
>engine block.  Looks like an improvement over the all rubber one.  May
>have been changed by PO who had the car dealer serviced only - could be
>upgraded to the 20v naturally aspirated engine part you mentioned.
>  Looks like it may almost never need replacing since the rubber
>connector is very thick and short and does not look like it is seeing
>much heat stress.

This sounds like a DIY modification by the PO. Of course Audi may
have recently done a factory upgrade of that hose, but at this late
date I rather doubt that. Anyone else ever seen a rubber/metal
composite breather hose for the 3B engine? How recently could that
hose have been installed (by PO), Dan?

Phil Rose				Rochester, NY USA
'91 200q	(130 Kmiles, Lago blue)
'91 200q   (57 Kmiles, Tornado red)