245/50/15 Dunlop SP 8000

Phil Rose pjrose at frontiernet.net
Tue Nov 5 09:16:16 EST 2002

At 4:14 AM -0800 11/5/02, DANIEL FORBING wrote:
>Has anyone tried this flavor and size tire on your '91 200TQ20V
>standard BBS 15 X 7.5 wheels? Tire Rack says it doesn't know, but
>did get the stock size correct. There seems to be plenty of room
>around the present 225/60/15s except possibly in front.

I question the conclusion about "plenty of room". The 225/60 size (on
my and many '91 200 cars) comes extremely close to rubbing (or do
rub) on the rear fender liner. Cars running 225/60-15 tires encounter
this problem (on bumps) if the plastic fender liner is slightly
buckled/"wrinkled" at it's lower edge--which is a common situation.
Heating and straightening this section of the liner eliminates the
interference (but barely). Cutting away the liner would create a bit
more clearance. So...if 245/50 dimensions are larger than 225/60, I'd
be concerned about clearance issues in the rear. Of course suspension
mods need to be considered, too.

Phil Rose				Rochester, NY USA
'91 200q	(135 Kmiles, Lago blue)
'91 200q   (58 Kmiles, Tornado red)