Lock cylinders

Phil Rose pjrose at frontiernet.net
Sun Nov 24 11:38:49 EST 2002

At 10:00 AM -0500 11/24/02, <jtm305 at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>Just had another issue with the 200.  The driver lock cylinder quit
>working.  the key will turn freely but does not engage anything.
>Any suggestions on a fix or is this a replacement issue.  Trying to
>avoid a rekey of the whole car.

Common occurance at 10+ yrs. The linkage invoves a pot-metal geared
lever-arm, which breaks. There is an inexpensive repair kit (under
$20, IIRC) that replaces the broken mechanism with a redesigned
(steel) part. A new lock cylinder is included, and you can re-key it
to your old key. Not a bad job--getting the door apart can be the
worst of it. You need a good circlip pliers tool in order to do the
lock-repair job.  Most critical part of the job is properly
"synchronizing" the tiny gear mechanism for proper arming/disarming
of the security system.

Check Chris Miller's websitefor a write-up (and photos!) about the repair.

I'll soon be doing a preventive-maintenance lock replacement for our
red car, since I need to open up the driver's door to fix the damn
Bose squawker.

Phil Rose				Rochester, NY USA
'91 200q	(135 Kmiles, Lago blue)
'91 200q   (58 Kmiles, Tornado red)