[s-cars] Purchase '91 200 20V?
Keith.Maddock at trw.com
Tue Oct 1 10:33:38 EDT 2002
Having previously owned a 91 200q20v, and now owning a 93 S4, I offer the following opinions / comments in addition to the good ones already mentioned by other listers:
(Flame suit on!!)
- About 1500 200q20v's were sold in 91, compared to about 3000 92-96 S-cars, so parts shouldn't be a problem.
- The 200q is more of a Q ship, but the S-cars have more modern lines and look more sporty. I'm honestly torn which one I prefer from a styling standpoint.
- The 200q is a good 200 lbs lighter than a S-car, I can feel the difference between the two. Definate 200q advantage here.
. The S-cars do have a stiffer body though, but to ME, my 200q felt "tighter" than my S4. I think, though, my 200q had a good life, where my S4 had a rough life before I bought them...
- S-cars have more modern looking seat and HVAC controls. The ones in the 200 looked like they were from a 85 DeVille, but worked fine.
- The 200q sport seats are just as good as the S4's normal seats. (Avoid a 200q with the barcolounger seats). I think the 200q sport seats may be a bit more comfortable with the same amount of support.
- S-cars have more hp with the Stock ECU but this is mostly absorbed by the extra weight
- Both engines can be upgraded with the ECU
- The S-cars have the electronic coil-on-plug ignition, compared to the a distriubtor ignition on the 200q
- The 200q has a stronger transmission than the early (pre 95?) S-Cars. Early S-Car transmissions have both a 1st gear reliability problem, and a pinion bearing reliability problem.
- I think the 200 seems to have more electrical problems/gremlines than the S-Cars (dashes, speakers, fuel pumps, etc)
- S-cars have a nicer sunroof control system (glass for 93 and up)
. Stock, I think the 200 had far-superior brake feel to the S-Car (both my cars had G-60's). I had to upgrade to big-reds on the S-car to get the same confidence inspiring brake-feel that the 200 had...
- S-cars have the cool projector headlamps, 200q has dim headlamps. I upgraded my 200q to the european headlamps and they were amazing though. Still running stock headlamps on the S4, but it will get Euro's soon...
These things do make it a tough decision, but since you already said you like the price and body style of a 200q, sounds like that is the better choice for you, IMHO.
If I ever buy another S-Car for myself though, it will be a S6A. (either that or I have to find a way to steal Jim K's awesome new avant.. hehe)
93 S4 (RS2-ish engine upgrades, Big Reds, Eibach/Bilstein) (Oregon)
RIP 91 200q20v (Stage 1 ECU upgrade, G60's, Koni/HR)
95 968CS (Germany)
Keith Maddock, TRW Automotive, Koblenz, Germany
Slip Control Systems, Systems Design, Traction Control
+49 (0)261/ 895 2474 - - keith.maddock at trw.com
>>> Christopher Gharibo <cgharibo at usa.net> 04:06:27 01.10.2002 >>>
I am debating on whether if I should buy a '91 200 20V or an 92-95 S4/S6.
I like the 200s body style and price, but I am concerned about parts
availability for this rare 11 year old car. Is this a valid concern?
The S4/S6 have better parts availability but higher prices.
Is the performance for the 200 vs S4/S6 similar?
Is saving money by going for the '91 200 smart or am I really getting a much
better car by going for the S4/S6?
Thanks for your thoughts.
This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain information that is
protected by law as privileged and confidential, and is transmitted for the
sole use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any use, dissemination,
copying or retention of this e-mail or the information contained herein is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail or telephone, permanently delete
this e-mail from your computer system and return the original message and all
copies to the sender by mail. Thank
S-CAR-List mailing list
S-CAR-List at audifans.com
More information about the 200q20v