MFTS&Aux. water pump

Phil Rose pjrose at
Mon Sep 16 18:32:36 EDT 2002

At 2:43 PM -0500 9/16/02, BriceW at wrote:
>I got my VDO MFTS from Rod at TPC a few days ago.
>Found that it took a 29 MM socket. I rented a 30 MM from Auto Zone for
>free that will work, as I couldn't get a 29 MM.
>Seem like they jump from 27 MM and then 30 MM is the next size.
>So I went to remove the auxiliary water pump to get access to the MFTS.
>And when I did I broke of the plastic inlet on it.

Interesting that VDO appears to use a different hex size (29MM) than
the 27 mm size on on all other MFTS units that I've seen. If you
recall my recent post on MFTS installation, I advised using a box-end
wrench, which wouldn't have required removal of the aux. water pump
(1 3/16 would substitute for 30mm). Those pump fittings become very
brittle and break easily. You may have actually done yourself a favor
by replacing it before it broke (in more inconvenient circumstances)
and left you stranded somewhere.

Phil Rose				Rochester, NY USA
'91 200q	(135 Kmiles, Lago blue)
'91 200q   (58 Kmiles, Tornado red)