BPV Symptom

Mike Del Tergo mdeltergo at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 8 13:37:44 EDT 2003

From: "Mike Miller" <>
To: "20v" <>

>-overfilling the engine with oil- don't fill up to the max mark, it's
>"max" for a reason, not "fill to here"  :)

I've always heard that oil level should be cheked when warm as the oil will
expand as it warms up. My old 911 would read a quart + low when cold and
full when hot with 9 quarts in it. The 200q seems to read about a 1/2 pint
to 1 pint low when cold and full when hot.

On the 911 this is only partially true because of expansion.  The Porsche
has a seperate oil tank and oil thermostat.  You want to check the oil level
warm after the thermostat has opened and the oil has had a chance to pump
back into the sump tank, where the dipstick is, not the traditional oil pan.