Inexpensive Pentosin substitute?

cobram at cobram at
Tue Apr 8 15:17:13 EDT 2003

Mobil DTE-13M, about $35 for a 5 gallon pail.  I've been using it in my
fleet of type 44's with no more/less problems than with Pentosin.  There
is PLENTY in the archives on it.  Seems that even the "chicken littles"
at the time have seen the light.   I don't think you'll find it at a gas
station, but and Mobil or lubricant distributor should have it.

Running it in 4 type 44's now, with two leaking.  Not that bad though, as
I averaged 3 leaking systems when running Pentosin ;-).

ben swann <benswann at> writes:
> Sean's car ('87 5ktqa) is down in FLA with bad leak in Power
> Steering/hydraulic system.  We are looking for a possible
> inexpensive
> substitute for Pentosin that will get the car back to MD where we
> can
> fix whatever is leaking.
> I recall seeing a post sometime back about one of common gas
> stations
> who sell high quality mineral oil by the gallon or so.  Can anyone
> advise - this car is using a pint every 100 miles or so?
> We have not been able to locate the leak, but it seems to be
> dripping/spurting somewhere in the middle on around the top of the
> transmission where it then gets vaporized quickly by the exhaust
> leaving not much trace - but a lot of smell.  Car has a rebuilt
> Jorgen
> rack, but don't know if that rules out the rack.
> Hope we can find some cheap source to get us through until the
> problem
> is fixed.
> Ben & Sean Shoemaker

Only $9.95 per month!