cooling system

Brian Link BrianL at
Wed Apr 9 11:20:31 EDT 2003

For what ever reason, IMO the thermostats tend to fail on the 20v
engines more frequently than on the 10v engines.  My coupe gt never had
a problem 170k and I think I changed it once during routine service.  My
20v failed open (temp gauge never made it to operating temp). I know a
few other 3B's and AAN's that had the same failures.

Also with summer heat and using the AC, I hit the max fan speeds often.
I think the aux radiator is necessary in these conditions.

From: "Mike Del Tergo" <mdeltergo at>
To: 200q20v at
Subject: mri-rtp.comDate: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 13:47:08 +0000

After a recent run around trying to find the cause of my "hi" operating
temps, I was surprised to find it was a bad thermostat.  I've found
very rarely fail and thought for sure it was the rad thermo switch.  Any
way, 2 changes of coolant, temp switch, and thermostat (80C)later, the
is running markedly cool, even given cooler than normal ambient for this
time of year.
My question is, has anyone run the 200 20V without the aux rad?  I run
UrQ this way with no problem.  Granted the 20V is a horse of a different
color but I figured someone may have tried it.  If not, I may give it a
myself this summer.