Measuring block 000 in 3B engine in the '91 200 20V

Brett Dikeman brett at
Wed Apr 16 18:03:42 EDT 2003

At 12:50 PM -0700 4/16/03, Matt twentyV wrote:

>I'm used
>to locating vacuum leaks on NA engines using propane,
>but I understand pressurizing is a better process?

Yes, MUCH better.  Propane doesn't help find leaks that only appear
under boost.

>There are no driveability problems, in fact it runs
>just great.  Gas mileage is very poor though, and
>there is a lot of soot on the exhaust tip.

How old is the O2 sensor?  These are an every-50k-miles on the 20vt
engines- Bentley specifically says so in the troubleshooting section.
As they get coated with soot and stuff, their response time goes up,
for one...

>Thanks for confirming my suspicion that the
>aftermarket chip may be deliberately tuned to run

It's not surprising that it would be; richer = cooler EGT, which
keeps you from burning exhaust valves.

>BTW, looked at your web page for the palm-based scan
>tool.  This would be much easier to use than a
>laptop, too bad I didn't know about this one when I
>bought the VAG-COM.  Nice job.

If it's capable of logging the 10 channels of data, or a selective
set of the 10 channels, I would be sold.

By the way- a number of the values will be out-of-range unless you're
testing under the specific conditions listed in the Bentley.  Idle
time, engine temperature, etc...