Serious Charging System Problem

Chrisellenhem at Chrisellenhem at
Mon Apr 21 00:00:33 EDT 2003

<My understanding of the alternator that it's VERY UNLIKELY
<anything will break except for voltage regulator/brush assemblies and
<and other than that, altnerators have no other problems.

I just recently experienced a sudden, catostrophic drop in my charging
voltage; removed alternator expecting/hoping for simply failed brushes &
regulator module but it turned out to be a completely deteriorated &
delaminated stator assembly - precisely as Kneale suggested.  Local
starter/alternator rebuilder reman'ed w/ new brushes/regulator, bearings, &
stator for ~$110 vs. lowest quoted non-Bosch rebuilt of ~$170.  Been working
great ever since...

Chris Hemberger
w/ 87k mi Avant in CT...