pipe cap for pressure tester

Phil and Judy Rose pjrose at frontiernet.net
Mon Aug 18 15:21:31 EDT 2003

At 1:55 PM -0400 8/18/03, Peter Schulz wrote:
>At 01:44 PM 8/18/2003 -0400, Phil Rose wrote:
>>To construct a manifold pressure tester, a list-recommended
>>alternative (alternative to Brett's Rubbermaid cup method) is to
>>modify an end-cap for 3" PVC pipe. However the only 3" cap I can find
>>is made of very thick rubber ("Quik Cap" brand). It  will fit around
>>the outside of the intake hose, but I'm skeptical about the intake
>>hose being rigid enough to take the necessary clamping force. Also,
>>this cap's very thick rubber doesn't seem to be well-suited for
>>mounting a Schraeder valve. So, what variety of pipe-cap have people
>>been successfully using; is there another type (material) of pipe-cap
>  >that is more appropriate than the one I've found?
>Rubber cap as you indicated but a standard air hose fitting instead
>of a tire shraeder valve - washer on one side and a NPT thread nut
>on the other side will trap it in the rubber cap.

I have a truck tire valve, which is threaded and can mount in much
the same way. The question is how to get a good hole through that
rubber without ripping or shredding it. Years ago I had a nice
assortment of tubular brass hole-borers (for boring out rubber
stoppers). Come to think of it, not long ago I did improvise a
similar kind of hole-borer made by grinding an edge on the end of
some thin-wall, 1/2" dia. brass pipe. That ought to work OK for this
pipe cap, too. Or just do some careful surgery with an Xacto knife.

*  Phil & Judy Rose           Rochester, NY  *
*        mailto:pjrose at frontiernet.net       *

More information about the 200q20v mailing list