distributor rotor question

Mike Del Tergo mdeltergo at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 8 10:20:59 EST 2003

While I never thought I would be in a position to disagree with Minhea, I
am.  I have used the wider tipped incorrect rotor on my avant for some time
before I "realized" it was not an exact replacement.  (both at highish revs
and everyday with no "known" ill effects.   I ordered the exact replacement
from SJM and compared.  Aside from any nonmeasureable impedance differences,
it all came down to width of rotor tip.  I believe the "horror stories"
revolved around the markedly wider tip possibly making "contact" to 2 points
in the cap at once and causing incorrect firing of the spark plugs.  20
Seconds with a Dremel and the "incorrect 1/3 price " rotor has the same
measuremnts as the "correct" one.  No noticeble differences between the
cars, both now have awfully low mileage!

From: "feelstranger" <>

Hello, Am I imagining it or did I read somewhere that the 3B has a proper
"special" distributor rotor that is narrow at the contact but most places
sell the standard style that also fits ...?
If it's not a dream, does it make a difference?