rear muffler source and cost

motogo1 motogo1 at
Thu Dec 11 15:04:48 EST 2003

Attached below is some info I saved from a previous post a couple years ago.
May be of some help. I need to replace my rear muffler next spring also.

Gary Martin
94 UrS4
91 200 TQA

Fellow Audians;
My '91 200 TQA's exhaust started heading south last fall.  I decided I'd
replace it this Spring.  Without going through all of the gyrations, I
thought I'd share the results and that which I learned along the way.  On
the research path, I learned the following:

Cat back system.  The price for the Audi 200 20V Quattro system is:  $
778,00 and for the Post $ 55,00.   The money has to be paid in front to
their Bank.

Total: $833

Graydon Stuckey

Thanks to Graydon for his information and friendly, helpful attitude.

Custom Turbo Back 3in Mandrel Bent System - about $1,500-$1,800.

Intended Acceleration

Ned resells cat back exhaust systems by a German company who supplies all
the major turners.  They advertise a 200 20V cat back system in all

Front 875 DM twin 60 mm pipes
Rear  895 DM twin 70 mm pipes

That makes a total of 1770 DM
Shipping on two large packages from Germany
Duty of about 3% to 5%

That's about $1,062 plus the shipping & duty.  Ned also resells Stebro, see

Stan's Headers & Mufflers

Many thanks to Alex Neckus for his help

Down pipe back, custom, mandrel bent system that includes: two 2.5 in high
flow cats, 2.5 in pipes into a joiner, 3 in pipe into a high flow muffler,
eventually into a 3in resonator which is completed by a 3in chrome tip.

Total cost: $813.00 installed.

Many thanks to Paul R Luevano for his wonderful Stebro install webpage.

Front High flow cat section$420.00USDea.
Center Resonator section$380.00USD
Rear muffler section$395.00
Shipping to 99203 ($20.00 ea. unit)

That's about $1,255.00

Sorry, we do not have an exhaust system for your car.
Caveat: this may not apply to your 20V

The envelope please. . .

I went with Stan's because they are in-state, and seemed to be the best
value.  The system is bit throaty, with some noise and a few resonance
drones at 40 - 50, but at 60 they begin to disappear and by >=70 they are
all gone. On the way back home Sunday (I-90, Seattle to Spokane) a driver in
a huge bright red 4x4 passed me -  he was doing 85 - 95 depending upon the
traffic.  I used his radar/laser blotting ability to conduct some tests.
Fifth gear runs from 75 to 115, are as effortless as the third gear runs
from 35 to 85 used to be, pre-exhaust.  The car is *much more responsive*
everywhere, like a totally different car.  With the exception of a chip, and
my BIRA brakes, the best upgrade I've made.

Results may vary; prices change; and so forth.

Greg Johnson