Euro Light Gremlins

Ned Ritchie Q at
Sat Dec 27 04:51:39 EST 2003

Aha!  You are using DOT spec bulbs :)

-----Original Message-----
From: 200q20v-bounces at [mailto:200q20v-bounces at]
On Behalf Of Mike Miller
Sent: Friday, December 26, 2003 9:12 PM
To: 200 20v List
Subject: Euro Light Gremlins

Euro light have been installed (relayed) for the whole 7+ months I have
owned the vehicle. No problems  (except both headlihgt bulbs went out in
past month - not at the same time). Until tonight. I just happened to be
a place inside the house that I could see the car. I had been home maybe
minutes. I catch a light in the driveway - huh?? It's my drivers side
headlight coming on. No city light -no high beam. Just the headlight.
on maybe 15 seconds and goes out. Stays off for maybe a minute and comes
back on for 35 seconds. Off for about 90 secs and then back on for over
mins. Now the passenger side headlight does the same thing - both lights
on then one goes out - take you pick - they alternated. I get in the car
turn the igniiton on and turn on the headlights - both come on. Both
beans work. Turn the headlights off and the drivers side remains on for
minute then goes out. Great - then it comes back on, goes off and the
passenger side comes on.  Enough description - it just repeats at varied
intervals. Only thing that might remotely contribute to the mystery is
I replaced both  headlight bulbs with 9003's a week or so ago but I have
seen this behaviour - I would think that as much as the lights are one
 observed over 30 mins or so) that the battery would be flat overnight.
= 4+amps per bulb x 12 hrs = close to 100 amps - even at 1/2 on I dont
a standard battery would survive and I have seen no slow cranking in the

Anyone got any ideas?

Seems to me that with the headlight switch off there should be no power
the headlights unless one of the relays is intermittently turning on and
providing power.

mike miller
helmville mt

200q20v mailing list