The new S4 bitch session

Peter Petersen pwpetersen at
Fri Feb 21 17:01:44 EST 2003

Hi Jeff,

Actually this is an altitude issue.  I live at 8800 ft and the typical
NA engine will be down about 25% on power.  But I love the quattro
system as well.  So, the A8's are such a good value these days, would
you still be satisfied with your car if it had 25% less power?.  Please
let me know your likes and dislikes as the A8 may be the best bang for
the buck right now.

-----Original Message-----
From: 200q20v-admin at [mailto:200q20v-admin at] On
Behalf Of Jeff.Bernstein at
Sent: Wednesday, February 19, 2003 2:41 PM
To: 200q20v at
Cc: pwpetersen at
Subject: The new S4 bitch session

I believe one of the reasons that they are abandoning the 2.7T engine is

to the high cost of warranty on this engine.  You have to remove the

to change a turbo.  This labor plus a turbo or two would be a

cost.  This was one of the reasons that I now drive an A8 instead of an

or an A6-2.7T.

Don't get me wrong I like my 200Q-20V turbo but it was a much stronger

engine and can be modified much easier than the 2.7T.  Turbo failure is

much more common occurrence on the 2.7T than it is on a 200Q-20V.  The

V8 engine is an easy engine to work on due to much less plumbing

with the turbo and this would be especially true with a twin turbo.  I

have to admit that my A8 gets better mileage than my 200Q-20V.

I don't think that the 4.2 S4 will be anything like a Mustang with 4

drive anymore than I would compare the 200Q-20V to the old 2.3 Turbo

Thunderbird with 4 wheel drive.  The Audi is going to be in a different

class in handling and luxury not to mention quality.  This goes for the

also since it is a great car in it's category but definitely not in the

class as an S4 or any other Audi for that matter.

Jeff Bernstein

Canton, Ohio

200q20v mailing list

200q20v at