Dead/dying Alternator?

C1J1Miller at C1J1Miller at
Sat Jul 5 13:17:56 EDT 2003

From: Paul Luevano <paul at>
To: 200TQ20V List <200q20v at>
Subject: Dead/dying Alternator?

I was just heading out to a July 4th BBQ, when I noticed that my ABS
brake/don't remember the 3rd lights were on.  A quick look over at the volt
meter, about 11.

I rev the engine up, I can just get to 12v at about 6k. Now for the last week
so, I've had to blip the throttle when I start the car to get the 3 lights to
off. I just thought loose belt or something.  But the belt is tight, and now

<grabs helmet and takes bike instead>

I'd start by pulling the voltage regulator off, seeing if the brushes are
intact and long enough, and cleaning the contact arm inside the alternator...
assume you've got enough belt tension?
Chris Miller, Bolton MA USA, c1j1miller at
'91 200q20v ==>