re. carb cleaner vs. air intake cleaner/throttle body cleaner

David Brill DavidB01 at
Sun Jul 27 22:02:36 EDT 2003

Do you mean something like WD-40?  Wouldn't an oil spray product harm those

-----Original Message-----
From: 200q20v-admin at [mailto:200q20v-admin at]On
Behalf Of ben swann
Sent: Sunday, July 27, 2003 7:55 PM
To: DavidB01 at
Cc: 200q20v at; quattro at; benswann at
Subject: re. carb cleaner vs. air intake cleaner/throttle body cleaner

Yes, common mistake if you will (BTDT).  Carb cleaner is an excellent
cleaner, but does not provide any lubrication.  Throttle body cleaner
lubricates as well.

I have cleaned throttle bodies with carb cleaner and no negative
effects, but since I know better, will be using throttle body cleaner
(at least on the last pass) to clean the throttle body.

The ISV on the other hand will be trashed by carb cleaner.  Throttle
body cleaner is surly a better bet.

I  have also found a good spray oil can be effectve for getting out
some gunk yet not trash the rubber seals.