Alignment: Impossible with H&R springs?

Jacob Michaels jalexmichaels at
Mon Jun 9 23:54:03 EDT 2003

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Bernie, Phil,

Adding the word controversial before "B. Benz strut brace" was an attempt to
enliven an otherwise dry email query with some some humor. No slight was
meant, and I was actually intrigued by your ingenious use of parts to come up
with the brace. The description of you brace did also suggest it had an
alignment-assisting application that might be a good fix for my problem.

I think I will have to take the car to an alignment shop and see what they can
do, and then decide if further action should be taken. I wanted first
ascertain if an alignment with H&R springs without other modifications would
be essentially fruitless.

Anyone know a good alignment shop in Portland, OR?

Thanks for your input on this one,

>From: Phil Rose
>To: Bernie Benz
>CC: Jacob Michaels , 200q20V mailing list <200q20v at>
>Subject: Re: Alignment: Impossible with H&R springs?
>Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 16:40:11 -0400
>At 12:36 PM -0700 6/9/03, Bernie Benz wrote:
>>What's controversial about the Benz Strut Brace?
>I was about to ask the same question.
>I think he probably meant: contoversial-Bernie's strut brace. ;-)
>> It will reduce negative
>>camber a little, but was never intended to solve H&R problems.
>>> From: "Jacob Michaels"
>>> Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2003 18:43:02 +0000
>>> To: 200q20v at
>>> Subject: Alignment: Impossible with H&R springs?
>>> [ Converted text/html to text/plain ]
>>> Folks,
>>> My recently purchased 200q20v has H&R springs with newish OE
>>>shocks. Tires in
>>> front show excessive inner tread wear. Seems like an alignment
>>>needed to be
>>> done, but I hesitated about exactly what to do after I read
>>>posts and other
>>> info about the alignment problems associated with these cars,
>>>especially with
>>> lowering springs installed.
>>> After absorbing this information, it is hard for me not to
>>>conclude that it is
>>> almost impossible to achieve a proper alignment with these
>>>springs installed.
>>> And that the only recourse if I want to keep these springs is
>>>some sort of
>>> aftermarket device like Bernie's controversial strut brace.
>>>What are people's
>>> opinions? I do have the OE springs. Should I ditch the H&Rs?
>>> TIA,
>>> Jacob
>>> 200q20v, 1987.5 coupe, 2001 Passat Wagon
>>> MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: [1] 2 months FREE*
>>> ===References:===
>>> 1.
>>> 200q20v mailing list
>>> 200q20v at
>>200q20v mailing list
>>200q20v at
>Phil Rose
>Rochester, NY
>mailto:pjrose at

Tired of spam? Get advanced junk mail protection[1] with MSN 8.