Alignment: Impossible with H&R springs?

Steven Hauptmann hauptmanns at
Wed Jun 11 13:55:17 EDT 2003

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but I feel your take on springs
which lower the car is overly bleak.

<<"Lower" is the easy way to get better "perceived" handling because of a
lower COG.>>

Are you saying that center of gravity does not affect the way a car handles
anymore than a perception?

<<"Down" in any audi chassis causes bumpsteer problems pretty quickly,
that's just plain math...>>

I have the H&R's, which lowered the car, but I'm aware of no bumpsteer

<<After 10 years of driving and tweeking audi suspensions, I'm convinced
that lowering creates more compromises than it solves.>>

You may be right, but I never thought lowering my car would solve

By switching to H&R's and Bilsteins, I had hoped to stiffen the ole girl up
a bit, lose the boat feeling, improve the handling, and get a more
direct/connected to the road feeling. That's exactly what happened.

Is there compromise? Sure, I need to correct the negative camber.
I simply shifted the compromise from a ride and handling that I was unhappy
with but was paid for, to a ride and handling that I am very happy with but
at the cost of the springs and camber plates.

I'm not aware of another set-up which would provide the improvements I was
seeking with zero compromises.  If there is one, I would wish I knew about

Steve Hauptmann
South Carolina