Bucking Bronco (was: HELLLLLP! Sudden odd symptom)

Scalmanini Steve sscalmanini at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 21 11:32:50 EDT 2003

The fuel filter was replaced 6K miles ago in the
180K tuneup and since the engine ran at 3-4K rpm
when the problem first occurred Thursday I figure
it's something else.

Yesterday I replaced the O2 sensor, rotor & cap,
and checked the plug & coil wires.  Afterward it
ran better (idles smoothly, accelerates under load
OK if done slowly, doesn't die when I let off the
accelerator although drops sometimes to ~ 400 rpm)
but if I try to accelerate normally under load,
or any faster, whoa!  Immediately coughs, chokes,
misses, sputters, and then, after maybe 2 seconds,
starts bucking so hard that I don't dare let it

Today I plan to finally make a code display lamp
and read them for the first time (' never had to
before in the 8 years I've owned it) since the
check-engine lamp is on constantly now.  And
check the plugs (never heard of one dying, but
one dead cylinder might cause this).

Thanks for the suggestion,

Did you think of the fuel filter? Might be plugged.

Do you Yahoo!?