Alignment: Impossible with H&R springs-follow-up

Bernie Benz b.benz at
Fri Jun 27 22:49:31 EDT 2003

> From: Phil Rose <pjrose at>

> Could be Pentosin, but I had similar symptom (smell of burning tranny
> oil when car was stopped) when the passenger side differential
> (output shaft) oil seal began to leak. The seals on both sides
> probably have an equal liklihood of leaking. That's a relatively
> common problem with these cars by 100K miles, I believe.
With proper PM, rotary shaft seals should be no problem for the life of the
car.  300K/400K?
> The steering rack could be leaking Pentosin if its internal seals
> _and_ its rubber boots are shot. It should be relatively easy to
> reach in and feel each boot to detect presence of Pentosin. My bet is
> on the differential oil seal(s).
The rubber boots do not contain hydraulic fluid, they are only dust shields
and their replacement is never justified short of a rack overhaul.