Alignment: Impossible with H&R springs-follow-up

Bernie Benz b.benz at
Sat Jun 28 08:56:01 EDT 2003

> From: Phil and Judy Rose <pjrose at>
> Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:00:17 -0400
> To: Bernie Benz <b.benz at>
> Subject: Re: Alignment: Impossible with H&R springs-follow-up
> At 9:49 PM -0700 6/27/03, Bernie Benz wrote:
>>> From: Phil Rose <pjrose at>
>>> Could be Pentosin, but I had similar symptom (smell of burning tranny
>>> oil when car was stopped) when the passenger side differential
>>> (output shaft) oil seal began to leak. The seals on both sides
>>> probably have an equal liklihood of leaking. That's a relatively
>>> common problem with these cars by 100K miles, I believe.
>> With proper PM, rotary shaft seals should be no problem for the life of the
>> car.  300K/400K?
>>> The steering rack could be leaking Pentosin if its internal seals
>>> _and_ its rubber boots are shot. It should be relatively easy to
>>> reach in and feel each boot to detect presence of Pentosin. My bet is
>>> on the differential oil seal(s).
>> The rubber boots do not contain hydraulic fluid, they are only dust shields
>> and their replacement is never justified short of a rack overhaul.
> Duh. Thanks for that insight, Bernie. Who the heck said anything
> about the boots _normally_ containing hydraulic fluid? Or about
> replacing boots? And you claiming that a steering rack cannot leak
> fluid into the boots? And the boots can never have a tear?
I was just disputing your implication that a shot boot could be the cause a
leak.  Sorry that my message was unclear to you, apparently in all respects.
Obviously, I made the statement about replacing boots.  Are you objecting to
the fact of the statement, or its message?  Further, my message stated only
that a boot could not contain fluid (from a piston rod seal leak).  Thus, a
defective boot is of no concern relative to leaks.