brakes fine- now tranny whine?

Brett Dikeman brett at
Mon Mar 10 16:40:40 EST 2003

So the brake saga has ended without fanfare-it really was just too
low a fluid level causing air to get sucked into the MC.  After
sitting all weekend with a properly topped up reservoir, it seems to
have sorted itself out- pedal and braking action are now 100% normal,
did a pretty thorough test in driveway and then on some back roads;
no mushy pedal, car rolls quite easily- no sign of any brake drag-
full stopping capacity, can stab at the pedal very quickly and get
perfect response.

Problem is, I've still got something else that cropped up that night;
a VERY loud whine of some sort, worse at low RPMs and 3rd/4th gears,
heavily dependent upon load/torque; let off the pedal, it all but
disappears.  It is somewhat similar to the grumble/whine you'll get
in most type44's at very low engine speeds/high load...except MUCH
louder.  Seems very much like a tranny problem, and I'm concerned the
tranny is now going to grenade on me- it's never made noises like
this before.  Torsen seems fine, not locked up nor open from what I
can tell- car's fine on mixed surfaces and no problems with tight
radius turns.  Aside from the noise, everything feels normal.

Any guesses on this new problem?