Valve seal replacement

Steven Hauptmann hauptmanns at MAIL.LLR.STATE.SC.US
Thu Mar 20 10:19:12 EST 2003

Thanks Keith.  Another case of clicking "send" before thinking. =(

Sorry everyone!

I replied to Bernie before realizing you had already mentioned this.

I'm sure you have all the correct tools (seal puller and pricey OHC spring
compressor), being at a shop and all. But how do you keep the valves from
falling? Trick or tool?

-----Original Message-----
From: DasWolfen at [mailto:DasWolfen at]
Sent: Thursday, March 20, 2003 9:17 AM
To: 200q20v at
Subject: Valve seal replacement

In a message dated 3/20/03 9:01:34 AM Eastern Standard Time,
hauptmanns at MAIL.LLR.STATE.SC.US writes:

> The valve guide seals cannot be replaced without removing the valves, and
> the valves come out of the bottom of the head.  This of course requires
> removal of the head.

 Sorry Steve but that is an incorrect statement. Valve seals can be replaced
on nearly any engine without removing the head. Nearly any includes all of
Audi's 5 holers. Replacing the valve guides does require head
a machine shop.

 The proceedure for replacing the seals with the head still installed is in
the manual.

Keith T
200q20v mailing list
200q20v at