[200q20v] ADMIN: we're back

Brett Dikeman brett at cloud9.net
Thu Nov 20 02:38:58 EST 2003

Welcome back everyone- it's been too long.  Dan switched DNS over and
we moved everyone's subscriptions as best we could to the new box.

First off- apologies if you were in digest mode and got switched to
regular.  You'll obviously want to fix that quickly, before volume
picks up again- the welcome email you got should have a URL to your
prefs page- if you didn't get such an email, then bop over to
http://www.audifans.com/mailman/listinfo/[list name goes here]/ and
follow the directions.  Don't forget to try out MIME digest mode-
some mail clients handle it very nicely, just as if it were a
mini-mailbox. Which is nifty.

We're still fixing things- for example, S-car-list has a new list
admin(gotta fix that!:-), a lot of lists don't have descriptions, are
sporting those bloody annoying [listname] subject prefixes, etc.  I'm
spending tonight on cleanup patrol.

Also- archives are hosed.  Big time.  Long story, sad ending.  We
have backups but the tape drive isn't doing a very good job of
reading them- if you have a big heart, work for a data recovery
company or have access to a DDS3 drive in excellent condition
mechanism-wise that you can lend us for a bit, please drop Dan a
line(dans at audifans.com).  Well, not right this second, because his
mail's not working on the new box yet we think <grin>.

Oh, and the marketplace needs to be moved I think- same for the
registry.  Mark's been talking about something new+sparkly, we'll see
what he's got(patience, grasshopper.)

What's new:

-faster server.

-exciting new Mailman interface features.  Check out your preferences
page.  Honest.  Really.  Not make-your-night kinda stuff, but nice
regardless.  Its kinda, 'make your hour' stuff.

-faster server.

-better bounce detection and simpler rules for auto-removal(list
admins can now tell if you unsubbed, or the system unsubbed you,
etc).  If you bounce for more than 5 days, you get unsubbed
automatically, thems the breaks.  Just join up when you've sorted out
your email :-).  The system now also employs some wonderfully fancy
magic to nearly guarantee Mailman will be able to figure out bounce
messages, which will be a godsend for us list admins- there are some
horribly broken, evil mail servers out there :-)

-did I mention, faster server?  As in, 100mhz sparc processor to 3ghz
P4?  As in, 5x the ram?  Etc.  Oh, and we won't be running out of
disk space any time soon.

-delegation of moderation.  Listadmins can now set a separate
moderate-only password and recruit people to help approve/process
moderation items(I will be doing this for 200q20v, that's for sure!)

-oh yeah.  Faster server.  Watch those mailman UI pages load at
lightning speed, baby!

Dan's off chasing a fuzzy yellow ball with a frying pan, but I'm
cleaning up stuff as I run across it.  List admins, please drop Dan
or I a line, need to arrange list passwords for you, help you fix
your options(I picked what I think are sensible defaults, and will
correct what I notice tonight etc.), help you cope with all the extra
options, etc.

If you come across a problem, please hold back until tomorrow
afternoon so we can get a chance to sort things out.  Problems that
still exist after that are fair game to harass us about...