Spark Plug Torque

Phil Rose pjrose at
Mon Nov 24 09:23:29 EST 2003

At 7:45 AM -0500 11/24/03, Eric_R_Kissell at wrote:
>I changed the spark plugs in the 1991 200q 20v yesterday.  Bentley showed a
>tightening torque for spark plugs at 22 ft-lb.  This seems too high to me.
>Can anyone confirm that 22 ft-lbs is correct for these spark plugs and that
>it will not lead to stripping of the threads?

  That is the torque value I've been using, and never a problem with
stripping. In fact, after being tightened to that torque, the plugs
will tend to loosen up quite a bit (frighteningly loose, sometimes)
after a while.

Phil Rose				Rochester, NY USA
'91 200q	(140K, Lago blue)
'91 200q   (64K, Tornado red)			mailto:pjrose at