Oil Changes WAS: Fumoto Oil Drain Plug

Bernie Benz b.benz at charter.net
Wed Apr 7 09:00:04 EDT 2004

If the change criteria were oil color one would be changing oil every 500
miles.  Black does not equate to "dirty oil"!  If you like to see "clean
oil", switch to non detergent oil if you can find it, and overhaul your
engine every 50K.  I like Orange.

From: SuffolkD at aol.com

No way Bernie:
20K a filter? Once a year MAYBE....it you drive 5-10,000 miles.
I did that in a 4000Q:  10K between changes was Black oil....even a FRAM
filter! YIKES
NEVER in a turbo........bearings LOVE dirty oil from infrequent
-Scott by BOSTON

From: Bernie Benz <b.benz at charter.net>
Subject: Re: Fumoto Oil Drain Plug

You guys are changing oil and filters far to often, IMO!  Once a year in
nice weather, or oil at 10K and filter at 20K are an easy to remember
milestones.  The other philosophy to which I subscribe and recommend to my
non wrenching son is to never change oil, just change cars every 200K.